Prof. Metwally has published books, articles and research papers on specific topics, including: teaching biotherapy in school of library and information science; applications of Virtual Reality Systems (VRS) and Second Life (SL) in libraries; strategic planning, accreditation and developing self-study reports (SSR) for academic and special libraries. Samples of his publications include: Books:
- Directory of Organizations and Associations working in Documentation of Arabic Heritage/Bibliotheca Alexandria, The Center for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage (CULTNAT); supervision Mohamed Fathy Abdelhady; edited by Abdallah Hussein Mohamed and Amal Wagih Hamdy. Cairo: CULTNAT, 2009. 89 p.
- Computers and its Applications, by Shahin, Sherif, Abdallah Hussien Metwally, Amal Wagih Hamdy. Cairo: S. Shahin, 2007. 209 p.
- Principles of Bibliotherapy with an Applied Study on Schizophrenic Patients, by Abdallah Hussien Metwally; with an introduction by Yehya el-Rakhawy. Cairo: El-Dar El-Masreya Al-lobnaneia, 2004. 275 p.
- A Bibliographical Guide to Thesis approved by the Faculty of Arts, Cairo University: From 1914 to May 1996, by Hashem F. Sayyes, Nasser M. Abdul-Rahman, Mohamed S. Ghonaim and Abd Allah H. Metwally; supervised by Hishmat Kasem. Cairo: Academic Publishing Unit, Faculty of Arts, Cairo University, 1996 (2 Vols).
- The Self-Evaluation Report (SER) Between Selfie shot's credibility & Magic Mirror's deception: An Analytical comparison study for a sample of University libraries Self-Evaluation Reports. In: New Trends in Libraries and information. Vol. 24, No. 47 (January 2017), pp. 11– 55.
- Booksellers and adopting acquisitional and selling policies and strategies to gain more Profitability Barnes & Noble, Inc. as a case study. In: New Trends in Libraries and information. Vol. 23, No. 45 (January 2016), pp. 155–238.
- The necessity of relying on standards in university libraries. Naseej blog for libray and information. February 2015. Link
- LibQUAL+®; A standard tool to measure the extent of user satisfaction with library services, quantitatively. Naseej blog for library and information. April 2015. Link
- Conspectus; A Disciplined methodology to analysis and assess university library collection. Naseej blog for library and information. May 2015. Link
- Reading within the content of national plans and strategies of technology, information and knowledge in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Naseej blog for library and information. April 2014. Link
- Identity issue in the Second Life (SL) and and its reflection on the virtual libraries services. In Alfehrest. Vol. 9, No. 33 (January 2011), pp. 11 – 61.
- The Floating Library ‘Doulos’ as a model for mobile libraries: An evaluating vision and a suggestion to adopt it in the Arab world. In: Ialam (scientific and refereed journal published by the Arab Federation for Library and Information (AFLI)), No. 8 (December 2011), pp. 73–109.
- Second Life and its applications in eLearning in library and information science: Monitoring and evaluation of school of library and information science, San Jose State University. In: New Trends in Libraries and information, Vol. 31, No. 1 (January 2009), pp. 125–152.
- Bibliotherapy: To teach or not to teach in schools of library and information science: an exploratory study in the United States of America. In: Arab Journal of Library & Information Science. Vol. 28, No. 3 (May 2008); pp. 4 – 23.
- Habib Salamah and Library World Journal. In: Arabic Studies in Librarianship and Information Science. Vol. 11, No. 2 (May 2006); pp. 9 – 32.
- Arabic Studies in Librarianship and Information Science Index for the first 10 years (1996 – 2005). In: Arabic Studies in Librarianship and Information Science. Vol. 11, No. 1 (January 2006); pp. 223 – 269.
- Mental health hospital libraries: Reality diagnosis and development suggestions. In: Arab Journal of Library & Information Science. Vol. 24, No. 1 (January 2004); pp. 21 – 48.
- Reading for "Reading Festival": A study of family library project. In: Arab Journal of Library & Information Science. Vol. 21, no.3 (July 2001) pp.137–154.
- Digital Library: An Interview with James Belington, Head of Library of Congress/ Abd ALLAH H. Metwally, Amal W. Hamdy, and Sahar H. Rabie. – In: New Trends in Libraries and information. Vol. 2, No.4 (July 1995) pp. 259 – 262.
- Virtual Reality System (VRS): A Newcomer needs to be defined. – In: New Trends in Libraries and information. Vol. 2, No.4 (July 1995) pp. 124 – 160.
- Compact Discs (CDs): Background, definition and applications in library and information field. In: New Trends in Libraries and information.Vol.2, No.3 (January 1995) pp. 99 –122.
- University Libraries Visions, Missions and Core Values: A comparative study for the structures and content and put forward the standards of formulation and evaluation. In: "25th Conference of Arab Federation for Libraries and Information-AFLI".- Hamamt, Tunisia (28-30 Oct., 2014).
- Challenges of Digital Content Management in Academia Knowledge from Management Prospective (ppt.) In: The 2011 SunGard Higher Education Middle East User Group (SMEUG) Dubai, AUE, (12 -14 Dec. 2011)
- Problem of identity within Second Life and its impact on virtual library services. In: "21st Conference of Arab Federation for libraries and information-AFLI". Beirut, Lebanon. (8-10 Nov., 2010).
- Transformation from Information Management to Knowledge Assets Management: An evaluative forecasting vision for needs, reequipments and benefits of application in the Arabic Digital Libraries. In: "20th Conference of Arab Federation for Libraries and Information-AFLI". Casablanca, Morocco. (6-8 Dec., 2009).
- “Storytelling” as an activity in Egyptian public libraries: Mubarak Library as a model. In: “The Arabic Child Conference: His Language and Literature”. Amman, Jordan. The Hashemite University. (21-23 November 2006).
- Virtual Reality System (VRS): A defining Introduction. In: “The 8th Conference of Arab Federation of libraries and Information-AFLI”. Cairo, Egypt. (1 – 4 Nov. 1997). pp. 232 – 239.
- Therapy by Reading for everyone: evaluation for Mrs. Suzan Mubarak Family library project: Reading for everyone festival”.- In: Al-Ahram newspaper, (2/6/2000) p.11.
- The man recorded his Information on stones and polycarbonate. What do you say?. In: Al-Dostor newspaper, (3/4/1997) p.9.
- Information doesn’t belong to anyone. In: Al-Dostor newspaper, (13/8/1997) p.9.
- With Virtual Reality System (VRS) attacking is not the best way to defense. In: Al-Ahram newspaper. (3/5/1996). p. 9.
- The Recent trends in Information Technology. In: Al-Ahram newspaper, (5/8/1995) p.10.